Outdoor Explorer Series (Introductory Course): Wayfinding & Map Reading
Tuesday, Nov 15, 2022 (5:30 pm - 6:30 pm)
Join Outdoor UW for their new Outdoor Explorer Series. Learn and practice a new skill that will make you more comfortable and excited for your next adventure!
Intro to Map Reading, Compass Use, & GPS
Have you ever been wildly lost in the wilderness and wished you knew more about maps and navigation? Don’t let that happen again! Come to this Intro to Navigation class and get an overview of all things navigation. You will have a chance to learn about and practice with these tools to better prepare yourself for the next time you are out there and completely lost.
Upon completion of this class, participants will:
- Understand the importance of using some type of Map or navigation tool when recreating in the outdoors
- Learn about a few of the tools used in outdoor recreation, their benefits and drawbacks.
- Compass Components and Usage
- Handheld GPS unit
- Digital tools (GeoCashing, Google Maps, Alltrials, GooseChase)
- Play around with tools that we just learned about to navigate to a few spots on campus
- Event Type
- Educational Event (passive learning, no rating)
- Accommodation Information
- Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- In the event that the course is cancelled by Outdoor UW, full refunds will be issued. Refunds will not be issued if participants cancel within 24 hours of event.
- Driving or Travel Details
- Equipment/ Gear Required by Participant
- Please dress for the weather for any course that has an outdoor portion indicated in the description. All technical gear will be provided.
- Food and Equipment Information
- Trip Cancellation, Reschedule, and Refund Information
- Trip Purpose/Goals